CO-17 Camper

by Alumacraft Boat Company

My father purchased this canoe for $375 in 1968. It is…

My father purchased this canoe for $375 in 1968. It is wide, stable, heavy, sturdy and the best watercraft in the world primarily because there are so many happy family memories.

My dad purchased a 4 horse Johnson the next year.

We've escaped bears, hid under it in a tornado up in the Boundry Waters, run a few rapids (made a few dents there)and pulled each other around on inner tubes with a 4-horse Johnson (still runs). You may have seen me about 40 years ago cruising around Crane Lake with my Viking sail on it.

We have hunted and fished out of it. I've hauled a moose out of the back lakes in Northern Ontario in it.

I replaced the transom on it last winter and you can see me and my son cruising around Lake McBride with a trolling motor. Lake McBride has no wake and my has downs syndrome so he only paddles when it suits him.

If it wasn't made from aluminum I would probably plan a funeral pyre in it when I croak!

I think they are around $450 now, buy one and make memories with your family!

Awesome river canoe for fishing skinny water. Equipped with 4 horse Evinrude…

Awesome river canoe for fishing skinny water. Equipped with 4 horse Evinrude 1977, this canoe will easily run through 12" of water or less.

If you're looking to get to a nearby fishing hole with a…

If you're looking to get to a nearby fishing hole with a little bit of motor assistance, this is the boat for you. I've done a lot of fishing with this boat where other motorboats could never get to. It is extremely stable, extremely wide, and should be considered a specialty canoe. If you're looking to do many hours of paddling this probably isn't the boat for you though. You pay a price with the stability in width. It is fairly awkward to paddle for long periods of time, especially for the bow paddler, because of its width. If you're looking for a boat that's tough as nails and handles a motor with a stern that comes together in the rear, this is perfect!