Airis Play

by Airis

The Walker Bay AIRIS Play is an amazingly lightweight, extremely stable and quick to set-up inflatable kayak. The shorter length of the AIRIS Play makes it easy to maneuver whether you are exploring coves, or tackling whitewater, while the shape of the hull provides incredible stability and comfort. A fun, fast way to get on the water, the AIRIS Play is the perfect recreational kayak.

I use the Airis play on open seas in the tropics, and…

I use the Airis play on open seas in the tropics, and it's the one inflatable kayak I prefer on lazy days. I take barely five minutes to assemble the parts and to inflate to the right 7 PSI pressure. Compared to the hassle of putting together my AdvancedElements AdvancedFrame or the sheer tedium of pumping up my inflatable SUP to the right pressure, the Airis hits the right compromise between convenience and performance.

It's proven perfectly capable of 6 mile round trip paddles in choppy waters and has been launched off some rocky beaches without a scratch.

We have had 2 Airis Play's for 8 years now and the…

We have had 2 Airis Play's for 8 years now and the kids have had a blast on them, they have been hard and rough on them, going onto rocky beaches and bumping up against barnacles, and I am amazed they have lasted so long. This year we had to get one patched, and it's back to normal on the water again. The Play is quick and easy to get around in, and easy to handle being so light. We have had more than our moneys worth out of this kayak!

Although not given a high rating for rapids by Walker Bay (manufacturer)…

Although not given a high rating for rapids by Walker Bay (manufacturer), this boat is awesome in the whitewater, especially as a play boat!! It is by far the highest performance inflatable kayak for whitewater surf play available (I've paddled nearly every IK out there!!). The fact that this boat is supposed to be run at 6.5 PSI (most IKs are run around 2.5-3 PSI) makes it very rigid - no flexing or folding. The stiffness, plus a flat planing bottom and a broad inflated bow with excellent buoyancy all help make this boat a surf machine! The bow design doesn't funnel the water right into the cockpit like most other IKs. And it has a much smaller cockpit anyway so even when totally swamped you're not carrying 20 gallons of water like the long, open IKS. At only 8 feet long and 15 pounds this boat feels like a go cart - super quick and light; and it fits on waves that the longer boats (even the Aire Force) just don't have a chance at. Also, the boat is very easily righted when you capsize. The upturned bow and the light weight make it very easy to flip back upright, and the low sides make for easy entry mid-stream. Self-rescue is a cinch with this boat.

You can see video clips of the boat being put to the test on Youtube at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSPknnadrY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u43QvPrPEg0&NR=1
More to be added over the summer so check my channel periodically (aklish89).

I cut off the skeg and added an NRS backband and thigh straps to maximize performance. New D-ring placements may be necessary to get good thigh strap placement depending on your leg length. Definitely a good buy, especially with some of the deals to be had out there. If you are looking for something more exciting then your old tub of an IK, but aren't sure about going to a hardhsell, this is the ticket!! That was exactly where I was at - looking for something that would allow me to push further, especially in surf play without having to go to a hardshell.

I am so psyched that I came across the Airis boats on the web and recognized the potential. It was a gamble because I couldn't find anything saying that the boat was good in whitewater. But the more I looked at the pictures of the flat bottom and the broad bow the more I became convinced that this was the next step in inflatables. I can't be more happy with the purchase.