Clinton River - Squirrel Rd. to Heritage Park
We dropped in at Squirrel @ 12:00 had 3 - 4 portages due to log jams/fallen trees with the most hindering being right before Livernois/Avon Road (right before the bridge) the water is pretty swift there.
* Between Avon and Diversion there is 1 Portage due to Log Jam/Fallen Tree (easy to get out and around) the white cap under the rochester rd. bridge was pretty big (I stayed to the right of it)
* Between Diversion & Yates Dam there were 2 Portages due to Log Jams
* Between Yates and Coyote Joes there are 3 portages due to Log Jams/Fallen Trees . 2 of them are back to back about 1 mile in from yates and the 3rd is @ the last turn before the Ryan Rd bridge before Coyote Joes.
* Between Coyote Joes and Heritage Park. No obstructions ...smooth paddling, it was nice to end a long trip with ease
I have done all of these stretches before countless times; the fallen trees mixed with a swift water flow can be dangerous. Be prepared when you go around a turn that there could be a log jam, I would only recommend to do this stretch when the water gage is above 2 feet, otherwise you will be scratching the bottom of the river. When we went, the water level was 2.21 at USGS Auburn Hills site and level was perfect. Trip took 6 hours
Park with good access on Squirrel Road / South of m-59 on east side
No, it's free
- Trip Duration: Day Trip
- Sport/Activity: Kayaking, Canoeing
- Skill Level: Advanced
- Water Type: River/Creek (Up to Class II)