7 Cold-Weather Paddling Products
Regardless of the season, you need to dress and prepare for immersion. The cold months are when it becomes painstakingly clear, but the same requirement applies to the rest of the year as well. Not just for a quick dip in the water, but a full capsize and potentially minutes in the water. No one plans to capsize, separate from their craft, or experience cold shock, but we need to be dressed to do so.
What's appropriate will depend on your local conditions and season, but you need to consider more than just your basic apparel. Here are 7 cold-weather products to consider purchasing or, at least, inspire your own research and list of cold-weather gear. Don't gamble or skimp out, your clothing and gear can be the difference maker when it matters most.
7 Cold-Weather Paddling Products
- Hudson Dry Suit by Mustang Survival
- Granite Gloves by Level Six
- Paddle Float by North Water
- Kayalite by Kayalu
- Emperor Drysuit by Level Six
- Blitz Booties by Sea to Summit
- Aquashell Hood by Beluga Outdoor Gear
1. Hudson Dry Suit
Finally - a drysuit designed and built specifically for you: the water-lover interested in gearing up in a suit that serves all your waterlife needs. Manufactured at the Mustang Waterlife Studio in British Columbia, and inspired by 30 years’ experience crafting products to keep professional users dry, the Hudson Dry Suit makes it easy and comfortable to explore cooler waters or extend your in-water adventure season. Offering the technical elements our pros love combined with the performance and comfort you want, you’ll have a seasonless connection to the marine environments that inspire you - no matter the weather. Each drysuit individually tested for performance before leaving the Mustang Waterlife Studio. Few and strategically placed seams offer performance without sacrificing comfort. Trimmable neoprene wrist cuffs, integrated socks and our patented Closed Comfort System (CCSTM) adjustable neck seal keep water out where it matters most. Internal suspender system, adjustability at cuffs and knees offer a customized fit. Lightweight knee pads make hitting the deck a no brainer. Pockets at thigh and sleeve keep your fast-grab goods easily accessible. YKK® AQUASEAL® zipper locks at the bottom - letting you in with ease and making relieving yourself simple.
- Engineered & built at the Mustang Waterlife Studio in British Columbia
- Waterproof. Breathable. Super Durable.
- Adjustable neck seal, for quick one-handed watertight closure
- Waterproof YKK® AQUASEAL® zipper doubles as entry and relief zipper
- Easy wear internal suspenders balance suit weight for maximum fit and comfort
- Water-resistant zippered pockets on sleeve and thigh
- Trimmable neoprene wrist cuffs for custom fit
- Wrist overcuffs protect seals, and easily peel back for sleeve adjustment
- Super lightweight molded knee pads stay put with knee adjustment tabs
- Reinforced sock soles can handle extra abuse
- External hanging loop, for drying
No one has submitted a review yet for the Hudson Dry Suit. Please help out the community and share your experience!
2. Granite Gloves
The Granite gloves are the toughest and most durable glove in the Level Six line. These gloves employ 3 different types of neoprene to give you superior warmth without sacrificing your dexterity. The Granite gloves are the ultimate way to keep your hands warm on the water.
- Silicone printed palm and thumb for grip
- Nose wipe panel
- Pre-curved fingers
- Tapered entry cuff
- Liquid sealed seams
- 3 mm neoprene
No one has submitted a review yet for the Granite Gloves. Please help out the community and share your experience!
3. Paddle Float
This paddle float lies low conforming to the shape of your deck. Its low profile keeps it very secure and is ready to go at a moments notice. It stays put due to its curved conforming shape and is more secure with lower overall profile. Quickly deploys with two paddle blade pockets allowing use from either end. High visibility reflective tape identifies the opening of the blade pocket and provides visibility to others in low light conditions. Anchoring straps on either end of the paddle float allow it to be secured to the kayak
- Material Description: Durable Polyester Shell; High Density Closed Cell Foam
- 18"L x 8.5"W x 3.5"D
- Buoyancy: 15 lbs.
- Weight: 450 g
No one has submitted a review yet for the Paddle Float. Please help out the community and share your experience!
Rugged and reliable, the Kayalite is engineered to meet U.S. and international standards for night navigation of a kayak, SUP or canoe. The Kayalite is waterproof, buoyant, submersible to 1000 feet, and runs on 3 AA batteries (included) for up to 200 hours. To attach the Kayalite, a nylon-coated tension cable clips on and pulls taut to any fixed point of attachment on your deck, or to Kayalu's easy-to-install eyelet kit. Tackle night paddling with a Kayalite, the #1 choice of paddlers and anglers worldwide.
- Material Description: Mast is made of ABS, mast hardware and bungee rings are marine-grade stainless teel, lens is made of LEXAN, fasteners are plated steel breech clip, bungee cable is nylon coated, and base cushion is EVA foam
- Lamp: Bright White LED
- Lamp Life: 10,000+ hours
- Lens: White titanium-infused lexan
- Height: 18.5in /47cm
- Weight: 11 oz.
Don’t buy anything else. This…
Got this light last year and…
I purchased a kayalite from…
5. Emperor Drysuit
The Emperor is a heavy duty drysuit built to stand up to the toughest tests on the water. From whitewater kayaking to expedition paddling and kayak fishing, the Emperor offers unparalleled durability and comfort while keeping you dry. This drysuit is constructed using our ultra-tough eXhaust 3.0 fabric and incorporates Cordura panels to reinforce high wear areas like the knees and elbows and seat panel. The careful attention to detail and included features make for one of the toughest, most versatile and most reliable drysuits ever created. The Emperor will give you the ultimate protection and confidence while on the water.
I've had this dry suit for a…
The level 6 emperor drysuit…
6. Blitz Booties
The Blitz Bootie is the heavy duty workhorse in our range. It has a high cuff to overlap with wetsuits, a stiffened sole for improved portaging and protection against the gnarliest of rocks, and a very secure Y-pull Velcro strap to prevent you losing your shoes. The Blitz shares the same last shape as the Ultra-Flex bootie, and the same stitch lines to prevent chaffing when using foot-straps on boats or boards.
- Material Description: 3mm Neoprene, rubber sole and velcro strap system
- Available sizes - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
- Rugged water booties
- High traction rubber sole for grip on wet surfaces
- Stiffened sole for added protection and walking
- Secure Y-pull Velcro strap system
7. Aquashell Hood
This accessory is a must if you can't wait to paddle in the early spring and fall seasons. Aquashell is more comfortable than neoprene, totally windproof, and offers great insulation while remaining breathable.
- Sizes: Small/Medium and Large/Xlarge
No one has submitted a review yet for the Aquashell Hood. Please help out the community and share your experience!