Topwater 106 Description

The Topwater 106 is a kayak brought to you by Old Town Canoe and Kayak. Read Topwater 106 reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you!

Old Town Canoe and Kayak
Topwater 106 Reviews

Read reviews for the Topwater 106 by Old Town Canoe and Kayak as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Old Town Topwater 106 is a...

Old Town Topwater 106 is a nice paddling and stable fishing kayak for its size. Not too heavy and tracks well. The front hatch is nice, but it is a little small. An extra paddle will not in the front hatch, but my rod and reels will store in it. There is an area in the rear tankwell molded for a crate, but none of my crates will fit in it. No big deal since the tankwell is very large just a little odd. This kayak is stable enough for me to leave it in the high seat position even bay fishing. The primary con for me with this kayak is a lot of water pools from the scuppers. I was not expecting this since it has such a high weight capacity and I weigh around 200 pounds.

I test paddled the Old...

I test paddled the Old Town Topwater 106 today on a calm lake. It feels very heavy in hand for such a small kayak, much heavier than it's claimed 74 lb weight. The seat is comfortable but of much lesser quality than the older style seats by Old Town/Ocean Kayak . The seat was very hard to adjust from high/low while on the water. The high seat position was also disappointingly not very high. It paddled just OK, not bad, not good. It tracked ok and was a bit slow as expected for a short wider kayak but it spins when you stop paddling. I didn't notice any flexing of the hull when standing. It had excellent initial primary/secondary stability. The new style of foot rests are great. I like the front hatch style- t's about as watertight a design as you can make. My biggest complaint about this kayak is the front scupper design. When you paddle even slow and gently the front 4 scuppers very loudly burp up like mini geysers- this reminds me of some Wilderness and Native designs that have noisy scuppers that shoot water when paddling. Yes, you could put in scupper plugs but that defeats the purpose of a sit on top self bailing kayak in my opinion and just a poorly executed design. There are If you are paddling a fishing kayak you want it to be quiet. If you are just sitting and fishing nd not paddling far this kayak is OK but I think there are a lot of better designs and options out there.

Similar Kayaks for You: