Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21)

• 22.4" Width
  • 57.3 Weight (lbs)

Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) Description

The Stellar 21' Tandem (ST21) Touring Kayak has long, efficient hull lines that will slice through the water. With a narrow catch and our durable, yet light weight laminates, the ST21 is at home for racing as it is in on long tours quickly eating the miles. 2 storage hatches and 3 bulkheads provide ample storage and stiffness and an over stern rudder helps with steering in challenging conditions. A full 3-point footbrace provides you with stable platform for a strong leg drive, while a formed seat pad and thigh brace provide comfort and stability when it gets rough.

Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21).

Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) Specifications

• Seating Configuration: Tandem
  • Weight: 57.3 lbs
  • Length: 21' 4"
  • Width: 22.4"
  • Cockpit Dimensions (L × W): 32.00 × 17.30"
  • Primary Material: Fiberglass Composite

Gelcoat finished heat cured infused epoxy Fiberglass and Soric® core laminate

Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) Features

• Lock Bar
  • Adjustable Back Band
  • Thigh Braces

• Activity Type: Touring
  • Water Type: Flat/Sheltered Water, Open Water/Ocean, River/Creek (Up to Class II)
  • Duration: Day Trip, 2-3 Day Trip
  • Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
  • Ideal Paddler Size: Average Adult, Larger Adult

Where to Buy the Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21)

Stellar Kayaks and Surfskis
Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) Reviews

Read reviews for the Stellar Tandem 21' Touring Kayak (ST21) by Stellar Kayaks and Surfskis as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I wanted a fast tandem...

I wanted a fast tandem kayak for a multisport relay here in Central Oregon and had been eyeing the Stellar ST21 based on the specs and my love of my SEL surfski. This tandem kayak delivered. My GoPro captured the smile on my wife's face as we took off during our first paddle together - my wife that isn't overly fond of paddling, and especially not fond of kayaking on a cold April day.

Most tandem sea kayaks have a beam of 26" or more and paddle like a rec kayak. Not this one, it comes alive - quick acceleration, reasonable turning, excellent fit, and the best footplates of any kayak made. At 55lbs (Advantage layup) also very easily car-topped and portaged solo.

I made a few modifications to mine:
-Replaced the rudder with the SmartTrack Race rudder. The rudder this comes with has a plastic housing which was cracked (shippers fault, not Stellar). Also, the original rudder deploys by pulling the rudder cord, unlike the race rudder which you simply release from the clam cleat to deploy. Problems with the original rudder led to a collision and cost me a full minute in my race. Note that the Race rudder does not store neatly when retracted, it sticks out just above horizontal. If ordering I would request this modification.

-Removed the seat pads. Makes it comfortable but hard to rotate, on my short paddles I prefer the smooth seat which is also easier to keep clean.

-Replaced the seat backs. I developed a major scrape from rotating along the coarse stock seat backs.

Distance between cockpits is marginally adequate for non-synchronized paddling. Deck cutaways allow a close catch, steering is very responsive, turning adequate, tracking is excellent, and finish is flawless. Not a beginner kayak, but reasonable for intermediate paddlers. My biggest gripe is the rubber hatch covers: yes, they are water tight, but they're also a pain to fully seat!

If you want a fast, well-made tandem sea kayak the ST21 is the best I've found.