Prospector 14 Pack

Prospector 14 Pack Description

The Prospector 14 Pack is a canoe brought to you by Swift Canoe & Kayak. Read Prospector 14 Pack reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. Check out a few other canoe recommendations below or explore all canoes to find the perfect one for you!

Swift Canoe & Kayak
Prospector 14 Pack Reviews

Read reviews for the Prospector 14 Pack by Swift Canoe & Kayak as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

After trying other solo...

After trying other solo canoes, I found one that really works. I am 6'3" and weigh about 235lbs. I was steered towards other canoes that were simply too twitchy. Weight alone is not the sole factor one should consider when buying a boat. It is as important where the weight is distributed. Most of my weight is distributed from the waist up. There are allot of solo canoes that have optimal weight ratings around 260lbs, but not all can steadily carry that weight above the gunnels. Here is where the Prospector Pack 14 really shines. It is super stable and is a joy to paddle. It is not a speedster like the NorthStar Magic, but it moves right along. The fit and finish is the best I have ever seen. While the canoe is on the pricey side, it performs better than any other canoe I have paddled in 45 years (for a guy my size). I am done with tandems that are just too big or too heavy to handle. This canoe weighs around 30lbs in Kevlar fusion and is easy for me to take on and off the roof of my car. Being a pack boat you do sit lower but not as low as I initially thought. I can easily paddle it with a traditional paddle that is 3" shorter. I thought it was going to be too much like a kayak but really retains that canoe feeling. However, the boat really moves right along with a double paddle but make sure you get a paddle between 240cm-260cm. One last piece of advice, buy your canoe from someone that really knows the product. I bought mine from Raquette River Outfitters and they knew the moment they saw me what boat I needed. Great people!

Similar Canoes for You: