Magic Description

The Magic is a canoe brought to you by Northstar Canoes. Read Magic reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. Check out a few other canoe recommendations below or explore all canoes to find the perfect one for you!

Northstar Canoes
Magic Reviews

Read reviews for the Magic by Northstar Canoes as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I recently purchased the...

I recently purchased the Magic Solo canoe in the Starlight/aluminum layup. It is a 16 footer, very very light. I paddle it with a kayak paddle as I have recently switched from several 17 foot kayaks to the canoe. Years ago I was a hit and switch marathon canoe racer. Single blade canoe blades just don't do it for me anymore. Kayak paddles are faster and track better. So this boat is quite fast. With a kayak paddle I accomplished a 95 minute 9 miler on an Ohio River race with kayak paddle. Tracking was great. Despite its ultralight layup there was no oil canning of the hull. The boat easily went through the tumultuous wake at the start with the wake of all the boats taking off, and later a speeding police boat racing upriver for a rescue. My butt was fine the first 45 minutes on the cane seat but became uncomfortable the last 45 minutes such that I was squirming to keep comfortable but I had this same problem in my different kayaks as I paddle about an hour a day 4 days a week. But in the canoe there was more space to allow for more leg positions. I'm thinking about trying to briefly intermittently kneel to get off my butt at times. The salesman said this boat could easily handle a dog which is another reason I switched from kayak to canoe. That's my next test for this boat. So I'm quite happy with the Magic. Why? It is very light, fast, a good tracker with a kayak paddle and narrow enough with tumblehome so that the kayak paddle is very efficient, and stable through motorboat wake.