Skimmer 128 Description

This industry-shaking sit on top was designed with two words in mind ― performance and lightweight. With its low seat-pan and intelligent outfitting, you become one with the boat and the water. You don’t just sit on it, you paddle it, and with a touring style hull and lightweight Trylon construction, you glide across the surface. The Skimmer 128 features a generous bow hatch, a pair of day hatches, and an optional rudder, so it's ready for just about any adventure you can imagine. Finally, a sit-on-top that offers performance and style in perfect balance.

Available in Rudder Ready ($1,249) or With Rudder ($1,499)

Skimmer 128 Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Skimmer 128.

Skimmer 128 Specifications

• Length: 12' 9"
  • Width: 28"
  • Primary Material: Thermoform ABS Plastic

Skimmer 128 Features

• Cockpit Type: Sit on Top / Open Cockpit
  • Storage: Bow Hatch, Stern Hatch, Stern Tankwell, Day Hatch / Midship

• Rudder: Optional Smart Track Rudder with Sealect Designs gas pedal style foot control
  • Scuppers: 1 5/8-inch scuppers drain footwell & rear wells
  • Hatches - 5.5” Center, 5.5" Stern and 10"Bow: Storage compartment access
  • Rear Well Bungee: Deck storage for dry bag & gear
  • Paddle Holder: Secures paddle to deck
  • Console w/cup holder: Holds water bottle & provides mounting for angler kit
  • Outfitting: AireStream seatback and new Skimmer Cushpad
  • Sealect Designs Footbrace system: Easy adjustment pinch & pull
  • Molded Grab Handles on Bow, Stern, and sides: Comfortable grip when carrying kayak during portage
  • Stern Drain Plug: Simple hull drainage
  • Optional DLX Angler Package: Allows you to easily outfit your kayak with a variety of angler accessories

• Activity Type: Recreation, Touring
  • Water Type: Flat/Sheltered Water, Open Water/Ocean, River/Creek (Up to Class II)
  • Duration: Day Trip
  • Ideal Paddler Size: Average Adult, Larger Adult

Where to Buy the Skimmer 128

Hurricane Kayaks
Skimmer 128 Reviews

Read reviews for the Skimmer 128 by Hurricane Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Replaced my 15 year old...

Replaced my 15 year old Wilderness Tarpon 140 because of the lighter weight. Still love my Tarpon, wanted something lighter, & the Skimmer 128 delivers. Like the way the Skimmer tracks & moves through the water; very easy to paddle. The reason I only gave the Skimmer 3 stars is that I find it "tippier" than the Tarpon. It gives the sensation that it is going to tip over when rocked back & forth. When my Tarpon is rocked, I never feel as though it is going to tip over. I'm hoping this is an issue that will just take adjustment on my part, as I really like the Skimmer. I will defenitly give it more time for me to adjust. All in all, I really like the Skimmer 128.

Seeking to replace my...

Seeking to replace my Hurricane Phoenix 140, purchased new and used for fishing since 2005, I opted to stay with the made in the USA (North Carolina) Hurricane line, due mainly to my terrific experience with the Phoenix, Lydia in Customer Service, and the lighter weight of the Hurricane line, which shuns rotomolding in favor of Trylon (thermoformed ABS.) While the longer Phoenix with its aftermarket seat, anchor trolley, and rodholders weighed in at 60 pounds, the Skimmer 128 with its adjustable, comfortable and integral "Airestream" seat and aftermarket rodholders and Scotty comes in at under 50, perfect for my 5'8" and 160 lb,, 68 year old body throwing it up onto the TrakRak of my pickup. No cart or dolly needed. The lighter weight comes at perhaps a 25% increase in price, well worth it for ageing me. Both kayaks purchased from The Dinghy Shop in Amityville, NY.

At first surprised that an angler version wasn't offered in the 128, I quickly realized that it allowed me to customize to my heart's content. I added flushmount rodholders to port and starboard behind the seat on flat sections large enough to do so, and use them for a second rod and a landing net. Forward, I added a Scotty using a backplate since I could access it through the bow hatch, putting it on the sloped console and just in front of a bottle holder. I admit I added a suction cupped bottle holder courtesy of Amazon as the integral bottle holder was a bit too close to the Scotty. Although it’s a stretch, I can grab my rod from the Scotty and troll and catch fish from it as well. I used through bolt and nut for the forward anchor trolley pulley, using that well-placed bow hatch, and well nuts for the stern, putting pad eyes on with stainless screws and Marine Goop. With the Phoenix, I was comfortable with the foot stops all the way forward, with knees still bent somewhat. With this Skimmer 128, I have to move the foot stops halfway in as it would really fit a guy at least half a foot taller than I. Another plus is the 5.5 inch hatch directly in front of my seat. My truck keys, small needlenose and Iphone fit in them and for the first time I find myself using my cell while fishing. I have yet to use the stern 5.5" hatch but it came in handy when I added a flush mount Scotty for my safety flag. While the initial stability of this yacht designer's hull is a little more "tippy" than the Phoenix, secondary stability seems good and in 15kt wind and one foot bay chop I was able to turn, head into it, and retreat with it without incident. Despite it being shorter, the Skimmer 128 seems as fast and easy to paddle as the Phoenix, actually tracks better, and is definitely more maneuverable. In the aforementioned wind and chop I utilized a DIY drift sock, made from a canvas grocery bag, and experimented with the anchor trolley I installed, afixing the carabiner bow, stern and amidship. I got mine in mango orange, preferring a bright color for visibility in these busy Long Island, NY waters. I should add that after fourteen seasons in the sun, the Phoenix never lost its gloss and I expect the same from the Skimmer. I took the aforementioned Lydia's advice and unscrewed the generously padded seat bottom and sewed on and taped velcro in order to take it off and easily wash down after each saltwater paddle and allow thorough drying. Speaking of which, if I didn't hose the seat bottom down, it would not have gotten wet. While I wear bathing trunks kayaking, I have yet to come home with a wet derriere, and the Great South Bay is no pond. I did however have one washover from a passing yacht, whose owner was an apparent newbie, coming off plane when he approached and of course throwing a much bigger wake. No biggie. While it may not matter to some, this is also one exceptionally good looking kayak. Of course I shun pedals and rudders (rudders are an affordable option) so the look is pretty streamlined, especially with its raked bow. Definitely worth more than a look !"

Seeking to replace my...

At first surprised that an angler version wasn't offered in the 128, I quickly realized that it allowed me to customize to my heart's content. I added flushmount rodholders to port and starboard behind the seat on flat sections large enough to do so, and use them for a second rod and a landing net. Forward, I added a Scotty using a backplate since I could access it through the bow hatch, putting it on the sloped console and just in front of a bottle holder. I admit I added a suction cupped bottle holder courtesy of Amazon as the integral bottle holder was a bit too close to the Scotty. Although it’s a stretch, I can grab my rod from the Scotty and troll and catch fish from it as well. I used through bolt and nut for the forward anchor trolley pulley, using that well-placed bow hatch, and well nuts for the stern, putting pad eyes on with stainless screws and Marine Goop. With the Phoenix, I was comfortable with the foot stops all the way forward, with knees still bent somewhat. With this Skimmer 128, I have to move the foot stops halfway in as it would really fit a guy at least half a foot taller than I. Another plus is the 5.5 inch hatch directly in front of my seat. My truck keys, small needlenose and Iphone fit in them and for the first time I find myself using my cell while fishing. I have yet to use the stern 5.5" hatch but it came in handy when I added a flush mount Scotty for my safety flag. While the initial stability of this yacht designer's hull is a little more "tippy" than the Phoenix, secondary stability seems good and in 15kt wind and one foot bay chop I was able to turn, head into it, and retreat with it without incident. Despite it being shorter, the Skimmer 128 seems as fast and easy to paddle as the Phoenix, might actually track better, and is definitely more maneuverable. In the aforementioned wind and chop I utilized a DIY drift sock, made from a canvas grocery bag, and experimented with the anchor trolley I installed, afixing the carabiner bow, stern and amidship. I got mine in mango orange, preferring a bright color for visibility in these busy Long Island, NY waters. I should add that after fourteen seasons in the sun, the Phoenix never lost its gloss and I expect the same from the Skimmer. I took the aforementioned Lydia's advice and unscrewed the generously padded seat bottom and sewed on and taped velcro in order to take it off and easily wash down after each saltwater paddle and allow thorough drying. Speaking of which, if I didn't hose the seat bottom down, it would not have gotten wet. While I wear bathing trunks kayaking, I have yet to come home with a wet derriere, and the Great South Bay is no pond. I did however have one washover from a passing yacht, whose owner was an apparent newbie, coming off plane when he approached and of course throwing a much bigger wake. No biggie. While it may not matter to some, this is also one exceptionally good looking kayak. Of course I shun pedals and rudders (rudders are an affordable option) so the look is pretty streamlined, especially with its raked bow. Definitely worth more than a look !"

Overall I've been very...

Overall I've been very happy with the boat. I've had it for about a month now and put at least 4 miles a week on it. Hurricane's niche is lightweight, and they certainly deliver.

I'm 6'2", 200lb and can easily maintain a 4mph pace all day in light conditions. To go much faster though, I really have to put a lot of effort in, with minimal results in return. The boat tracks well, is easy to steer and is very stable. I can stand up without any difficulty.

In rough conditions (2ft waves and winds of 8-12) the boat still handles well, but requires some maintenance to keep on track. White caps are the limit for this hull. In 4ft+, with waves every 4-8 seconds the boat has almost no stability as there isn't enough hull in the water to maintain balance.

If you're looking for a well made, lightweight recreational kayak that is easy to use and just plain enjoyable, you'll love the Skimmer 128.

I needed a SOT for...

I needed a SOT for winter...safety reasons really. I've fished SINKs for years. With that...I purchased the Skimmer 116 after 2 years of comparing.

This boat shines when in motion. It really, truly glides over the water. Amazing control. Soft interaction with water. It maneuvers on a dime. Very easy to paddle in the wind and chop. The only issue I have is that it is tippy. It's not a boat that you kick back in. You really wanna be in motion all the time. They advertise as a touring boat. So, no false advertising here. It is not a boat that you go out and kick back in due to it's tippy'ness.

I have kicked my legs over the sides of the boat, which helps a bit when sitting in one spot. I also notice when I put my paddle on my lap and hold on to the handles, it helps when not in motion. I'm wondering if knee straps may be the answer to keeping this boat from being tippy while not in motion.

I'm still keeping this boat. It is lightweight. Beautiful. Easy to handle. Absolutely wonderful in motion on any lake, big or small.

I just bought a Hurricane...

I just bought a Hurricane Santee Sport 11'6 kayak taking it out tonight for it's Maiden voyage. I am already liking the weight as I can finally lift the Kayak myself. Had two others and their both a like lift a BEAR!! Now I will be lifting a baby Fawn!!

I have had my Hurricane...

I have had my Hurricane Skimmer for just over a year now and I wouldn't swap it for any other kayak. The ones I've had in the past have been very heavy, this one is not - it's considerably lightweight. I think it handles well and the comfort is really good. I give it 10/10

I've had my Hurricane...

I've had my Hurricane Skimmer 128 for about a year. I paddle inland lakes and rivers almost exclusively. I've paddled many boats and this is my current favorite. Previously my QCC 600X kevlar/carbon was my best paddling boat, but back and hip issues prevent me from maintaining the nearly straight legged sitting position of a sit inside kayak.

A sit on top cannot compare with the feeling of being one with your boat that a snug sit inside kayak provides, and the Skimmer is no exception. It is wider, rides higher and catches more wind than a sit inside, even though I weigh about 170 lbs. But the trade off is that I can now paddle for hours without pain.

A huge bonus is that, magically, the Skimmer tracks better for me than any previous boat--even my QCC. I used to need to take frequent corrective strokes. Unless the wind is very strong, I track straight and true in the Skimmer. I can also lift and carry it short distances. It is beautiful with a glassy finish that suction cups stick to well (compass, etc), the ABS like material is tougher than you would expect, the Skimmer has a lot of dry and wet storage, and is a great boat to take our 10 lb. dog out--he is a bow rider and there is room for us both in the cockpit. I do use some anti skid material for him to get a grip, though. My 225+ lb. husband paddles my Skimmer 128 with no problem. He is thinking of getting a Skimmer 14 for himself.

Pros: great tracking, maneuverable, light and fast paddling, fantastically comfortable and adjustable seat, roomy, stable, a lot of storage, light weight, beautiful.

Cons: extra buoyancy means it rides high, wish it was narrower and the seat well was lower, needs a decent cup holder or spot to attach a carabiner.
Otherwise, a great boat!

I love my Hurricane...

I love my Hurricane Skimmer. It is so lightweight and easy to handle. Tracks beautifully. Very comfortable. Just right for my small size and will accommodate a larger paddler. Good storage for day trips. Ample leg room. Fun to paddle. Love it!!!

Almost perfect! My silver...

Almost perfect! My silver Skimmer is a beautiful boat to look at, and a pleasure to paddle. It is quiet, fast, and I haven't needed a scupper plug yet to have a dry ride. Lots of dry storage, and the rear well is large enough for my cart.

It is just a personal preference, but since I often have to boat up the evening before a paddle to get an early start, and since I live in Florida, it would have been better for me to have a removal seat that wouldn't get rained on during the night. The seat itself is very comfortable and adjustable, and I don't doubt I'm in the minority about that feature.

Other SOTs that I have paddled (Tarpon 100, Hurricane Phoenix 120, Perception Tribe 9.5 and Perception Tribe 11.5) don't come close to the performance and beauty of this boat.