Skimmer 116 Description

Maybe your right arm is stronger than your left; maybe your body tilts east when you really wanna go west; or maybe your personal gyroscope hasn’t worked since the '90s. Whatever the case, the inability to paddle your recreational kayak in a straight line makes your experience on the water, well, challenging. Not to worry. Hurricane solved that problem with the Santee 116, a rec kayak that’s easy to paddle in a straight line! The Swede form design makes it simple (and fun and rewarding and spirit-lifting) to get from point A to point B . . . without wandering to all points in-between. You can toss enough gear in the ample rear hatch for a serious day trip, hit a river or lake or coastal inlet, and cut a smooth steady trail across the water. As a bonus, you won’t tear a rotator cuff putting the 116 on your roof rack because it tips the scales at a svelte 38 pounds. (Spoiler alert ― the Santee 116 won’t fight you when you paddle. It’ll work with you, so you’ll end up having a blast.)

Skimmer 116 Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Skimmer 116.

Skimmer 116 Specifications

• Length: 11' 6"
  • Width: 28"
  • Cockpit Dimensions (L × W): 43.00 × 20.50"
  • Primary Material: Thermoform ABS Plastic

• Paddle Holder: Secures paddle to deck
  • Security Bar: Cable lock your boat to the car or in storage
  • Outfitting: AireStream seat and foam thigh pads
  • Twist loc footbrace system: Easy adjustment from seated position
  • Luggage Grab Handle, Bow & Stern: Comfortable grip when carrying kayak during portage

• Activity Type: Recreation
  • Water Type: Flat/Sheltered Water, Open Water/Ocean, River/Creek (Up to Class II)
  • Duration: Day Trip
  • Ideal Paddler Size: Average Adult, Larger Adult

Where to Buy the Skimmer 116

Hurricane Kayaks
Skimmer 116 Reviews

Read reviews for the Skimmer 116 by Hurricane Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

My wife and I have had our...

My wife and I have had our Skimmer 116s for a couple of months now and absolutely love them. As an older paddler with a bad back, weight was critical and the Skimmer hasn't disappointed--I can singlehandedly load ours without pain and my wife is eager to take them out on her own, as well, because she can easily handle them. The standard seat is quite comfortable, too.

Pun intended, but it only takes a few strokes and you're up to speed and skimming along nicely. Very stable. Other boaters and paddlers regularly tell us how nice they look both in and out of the water. Build quality is excellent and the finish differentiates them from almost any other yak out there. Absolutely satisfied with the purchase.

Thanks to the Backpackers Shop for special ordering the 116s for us when they only had the larger versions in stock.

I bought a Hurricane...

I bought a Hurricane Skimmer 116. The cyber Green and White color is very attractive for my Florida paddling. I mainly was looking for a lighter sit on top kayak. With the 48 lbs, it's a pure pleasure to paddle and load on my car roof rack! Some nice features ,such as the front hatch and small water prove at the seat are handy. The soft seat contours well to my back, for the days adventure. No doubt this kayak was a good investment!

After trying many kayaks,...

After trying many kayaks, I settled on purchasing the Hurricane Skimmer 116. At 42 lbs, this little beauty is perfect for me. I am a 55 year old female who loves the outdoors. I wanted a yak light enough that I could handle by myself, yet stable enough to fish from. I can car top it easily, carry to the beach or lake with little effort, and secure a milk crate on the back deck with my fishing gear. It glides easily through the water and I love the way it handles.

The seat provides all day paddling comfort. As a woman looking for a kayak, this one is a great fit for me. It also has a 300 lb. weight limit, unlike other lighter kayaks, so sharing it with my husband loaded up with cooler and fishing gear is not a problem.